Richard Emil Hanpeter, AIA - Sole Proprietor (B.A., M.A., M.ARCH. R.A., NCARB, A.I.A.)
Born in Glens Falls, New York and raised in North Creek, New York. He has two children.
University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign
Master of Architecture Degree - 1984
Four Year Degree Specializing in Housing Environments & Historic Preservation
University of Notre Dame - Notre Dame, Indiana
Master of Arts Degree in American Studies - 1978
Two Year Degree in Graduate History, Literature & Government
University of Notre Dame - Notre Dame, Indiana
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Government - 1976
Four Year Degree Specializing in American Government
Wareham-DeLair-Architects, Saranac Lake, NY 1984-1992
Project Architect and Associate with a diverse and historically significant practice dating to 1895. Responsibilities included all elements of architectural practice, design, production, complete project and limited firm management, introduction of computers into the firm’s business, estimating and structural design capabilities, extensive construction administration and training of new draftspersons.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign School of Architecture, Urbana, IL 1982-1984
Graduate Teaching Assistant for Professor Walter Creese & Professor John Garner. Duties included the preparation of slide/lecture and research materials for Professor Creese, and instruction of students in the methods of recording historic buildings, the preparation of HABS drawings for competition, assistance with fieldwork and organization of several lecture series for Professor John Garner.
The Backroom - Architectural Consultants, Champaign, Illinois 1980-1982
Part-time employment during architecture school at UIUC with responsibilities including drafting, layout and production of window and door details for Caradco Window and Door Catalog; drafting and layout of window and door shop drawings for a Skidmore, Owings and Merrill Chicago high-rise project; site planning and detailing for Georgetown Housing Development in O’Fallon, IL; design and detailing for various commercial and business office projects in East Central Illinois.
T.C. Murphy Lumber Company, Wevertown, NY 1972-1983
Part-time employment began in 1972 and continued throughout college vacations and summers. Beginning in 1978 with a full-time position, responsibilities included the management of accounts payable and receivable, payroll, data entry and general ledger, as well as general yard management and the preparation of cost estimates for residential and commercial projects.
Gus Hanpeter, General Construction, North Creek, NY A tender age…to 1972
Worked with father in his construction business as a laborer, carpenter and eventually as manager, with responsibilities for the completion of several large residential projects in progress at the time of his death, prior to entering college.
Cunningham’s Ski Shop, North Creek, NY 1972-1976
Alpine and cross-country ski mechanical and rental clerk at Gore Mountain Ski Center during weekends and vacations from high school and college.
Individual Member American Institute of Architects
· Eastern New York Chapter - American Institute of Architects
· International Associate of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada
· Architectural Engineering Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers
· Custom Residential Architects Network (CRAN) – American Institute of Architects
· Housing Design Group (HDG) - American Institute of Architects
· International Associate of The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada
· Adirondack Writer’s Workshop
· University of Notre Dame Alumni Association and Band Alumni
· University of Illinois Alumni Association
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
· FEMA Building Evaluation and Assessment Team Member through ENY Chapter of the AIA.
· Trudeau Institute Student Intern Sponsor for eight summers from 1998 through 2005.
· Member of Village of Saranac Lake Planning Board- 1986 to 1988 during preparation of Master Plan Update with the Boston firm of Lane- Frenchman Associates.
· Architectural design consultant to the Adirondack Park Agency and the NYC/OGS for Visitors Interpretive Centers constructed in Paul Smiths and Newcomb, New York.
· Member of Saranac Lake Rotary Club from 1984 to 1988, which engaged in a variety of community service-oriented activities throughout the year.
· Member of parent group which re-designed and re-constructed the William Morris Play Park in Saranac Lake, New York- 1990.
· Member of the Saranac Lake Central School District Building and Grounds Committee, which evaluated six district properties, structures, and maintenance, renovations and expansion needs.
· Coach of the Saranac Lake Central Youth Soccer Association from 1991 through 1998 and the Saranac lake Youth basketball Association from 1992 to 2004.
· Member of North Creek Fire Department from 1971-1984, NYS EMT from 1974-1984, NYS DEC Lower Adirondacks Search and Rescue Team from 1974-1980.